Saturday, January 22, 2011

College Students Need to Get Their S. Together

I had an interesting experience at an on-campus lecture the other day. Some of my friends were required to attend the session, which was outside of class, but several of us tagged along as the lecture content was supposed to be rather different and out there. It was given by the author of Sex and the Soul, Donna Freitas, on the content of her research into college hookup culture. One of the things that she mentioned what that the way that students felt about hookup culture and how they perceived their peers to feel about hookup culture were always different. For example, several students noted the lack of classic dating in the college scene, and missed it, but felt that their peers did not. I found this point to be fascinating as I had come to a similar conclusion about dating at colleges. It seemed to me that students either hooked up with someone once or twice, were hooking up with someone repeatedly, or had reached the status as boyfriend/girlfriend, who knows how. I also decided that I wanted to go on a date, dammit, and promptly informed the guy I was involved with that he needed to ask me on a date, specifically to Pinkberry (God's gift to earth, first to California). And it was amazing. Seriously, why did we ever get rid of dating? Even if a couple goes dutch (splitting the meal), at some point, you will probably get free food. Just something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment