Friday, January 28, 2011

"That's my family you are talking about."

There have been many accounts of a boy or a girl not seeing eye-to-eye with their significant other's family. Here's the deal: no matter which way you look at it there is never a good reason to trash your boyfriend or girlfriend's family. Sure, you may express frustration or not be too fond of Sally or Bob's sister or father, but spewing venom about them is never a good way to go. Why? First of all, even if your boyfriend or girlfriend agrees with you, they may not like you talking so maliciously about their family members, though they may not tell you. Also, since there is always a likelihood of you breaking up with your boyfriend or girlfriend, you don't want the things you once said about their family to come back and bite you in the ass. How I think of it is if you don't like my family (one of the nicest, most accepting families, though everyone has their faults), it is going to be hard for me to fully accept you into my life. Of course, I am rare in the fact that I do not have any beef with my family members and am very protective over them. While I understand that it is difficult to always understand another person, family is blood and is not something you want to mess with. The longer you are in a relationship, the more you know about someone's relatives and this gives you a bit more freedom to express your opinions, especially if the two of you are married. But if you are just beginning a relationship, I would suggest keeping your lips sealed. If you really can't deal with your boyfriend or girlfriend's family, then you may want to reconsider the relationship and how one's relatives are going affect your life. Or, you could always try moving to another country. That is more of a joke in case that piece of advice was taken too literally. But remember--your boyfriend or girlfriend's family is most likely not going anywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment