Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Its February! Valentines Day?

So, you have a romance in your life and you realize that Valentines Day is coming up! What is there to do to be appropriate and spontaneous at the same time? A romantic dinner is a must and I have been thinking about planning what I will make for my boyfriend so that it shows that I was inspired by the love we have on Valentines Day! First, I think about what we both enjoy when we go out to eat before I can plan what I am making. This means that I can re-interpret our favorite cuisine in case I want to save money on the pre-fixed menus that restaurants impose on people for this occasion. Charging me $75 for 3 courses will not cut it when I can pay less a la carte on any other day. Seriously! Restaurants think they can do this because everyone wants to go pay for dinner on a romantic holiday but I say, if it will not cause you stress and you plan out a nice romantic dinner at home, it can be even better without the service charge! Plus, you can make a lot of memories in the kitchen if you clean up together and make dessert together.

OK, so here's my plan for the big meal... steak pan seared on the stovetop then finished in the over medium rare so it is served restaurant-quality. Make your own parsley butter and in the last 5 minutes add it to the top of the steak in the oven to make it juicy and extra-fancy! On the stovetop it should cook 5 minutes on each side then placed in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until serving. For the side, mix it up! Make 3-4 sides and have options and leftovers! I plan on making rosemary garlic mashed potatoes with buttermilk that I make on the stovetop first by boiling the potatoes, mashing them after draining until smooth with butter and milk and a tablespoon of sour cream. Then, add a Tablespoon of dried rosemary and freshly chopped garlic with salt and pepper to taste. From my experience, guys like it simple and tasty with strong flavors like rosemary and pepper. Also on the side, saute mushrooms and onions and peppers in butter and olive oil with salt and pepper until caramelized for a nice side to compliment the steak.  Then, make two vegetable side dishes to complete the main course. Blanch spinach until wilted (this can be done after the steak, potatoes and other sides are complete) then add lemon and white pepper and butter for a side with some citrus to balance the whole meal. In addition, grill some asparagus with olive oil and salt and pepper to go with the meaty steak.

The thing about cooking for Valentines day instead of eating out is that it adds a element of love when you put the time and effort into the act of cooking and creativity. It is found to be sexy, intimate and it can reveal more about a person in a short amount of time than going out to eat. Light some candles for dinner and open a bottle of wine for alot less than it costs to eat out with a bottle of wine at dinner because you get to control the food and wine costs.

One of the things that I struggle with the most on Valentines Day is the need for presents. On my first Valentines Day with my boyfriend, he surprised me with a necklace from Tiffany's and I loved it! But when it comes to guys, what can I get him? I see what I can get for his birthday and Christmas, but Valentines Day? I know most women would say surprise him with something in the bedroom or from Victoria's Secret, but I like to have something sentimental like the necklace to remember the special day. Of course, I always buy a card for Valentines Day and so should your man, but it is always puzzling what to give in exchange for jewelry and chocolate...what do guys want? Valentines Day is about LOVE so I tried to tell him no gifts and I know that he is too stubborn for that to work! My plan of action is to get some romantic movies online because one thing we love is watching movies together...that might be the plan!


OK, I think Valentines Day is a great reminder of Love and there is soo much that you can do to make this holiday special! Spend the whole Day together and go for a hike or get some outdoors time then stay in for the night and cuddle up with a homemade meal and some gifts from the heart that say "I Love You" It seems simple, but make sure to leave time to make the meal and buy groceries so that you are not stressed on the big day. To me, it is a day to relax and remember the passion when it is just you and the one that you love...have fun!!!

Valentines Day Restaurant Guide for those who do not want to cook at home...make those reservations now!!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment