Thursday, February 24, 2011

Movies to spice up the romance.

There are a TON of romantic movies that have been created and there are only more on the way. I personally love romantic movies, especially if they include humor. Sure, some of these movies are corny or predictable or simple of "girly" but I think they are fun to watch, especially with your significant other. Personally, I would rather much be cuddling with my boyfriend watching a romantic movie than something like The Terminator or Batman. There is always a time and place for this  but if we are talking about movies that can easily put you in that lovey-dovey (we all know it) mood, than I'd say romantic movies do the trick. Of course, there are a ton to chose from and some are better than others. Here are some of my personal favorites. I may come off as a typical girl who has bad movie taste but, hey, think what you will.

"A Walk to Remember" is an incredibly sweet story of a couple in high school, Jamie and Landon, who fall in love. The passion between them is incredibly strong and the couple goes through a lot, especially once Jamie reveals something very serious about her life. One of my favorite parts about the movie is that there is also a song included (I mean duh it's Mandy Moore) that just also happens to be incredibly catchy. Just think--maybe after the movie you could see the song to your boyfriend or girlfriend? Ok, that may be a bit of a stretch but what I'm getting at is it is a great movie that shows compassion for other people. It's also a tear jerker so make sure to have some kleenex--or you boyfriend/girlfriend's sleeve--at hand.

"When Harry Met Sally" is another great romance movie. It is also extremely funny. My boyfriend actually introduced me to this movie and we had a great time watching it together and talking about how we could relate to some parts of the film.  It tells the story of Harry Burns and Sally Albright who have a very long and rock friendship for many years. Between fighting and falling in love (in very abnormal ways), the movie is guaranteed to be entertaining. One of the most memorable parts is when Meg Ryan, who plays Sally, fakes an orgasm at a diner. Both of the actors do an incredible job and the characters they portray help show that love is neither perfect or simple. "When Harry Met Sally" is both relatable and hysterical. Not to mention, it helps to prove that no matter what decade (this movie takes place in the late 80's) there will always be some sort of similarities that men and women share when it comes to being in a serious relationship with another person. 


The final movie I am going to recommend, though I could probably talk about several more, is "The Holiday." This movie doesn't just follow one, but two couples who surprisingly find love in unexpected places. The main characters, Amanda Woods (Cameron Diaz) and Iris Simpkins (Kate Winslet) decide to switch houses for the holiday to get away from their own lives. Amanda finds love in London and Iris, in California. The complexity of the plot is very interesting to follow and there are many fun surprises from beginning to end. Of course, there is love. Why else would I be recommending this? Perfect for snuggling up with your loved one on a rainy day--or any time if you want. 

So, I hope you consider checking out these movies. I should mention that they are great films whether or not you watch them with your boyfriend or girlfriend or not. Girls, if your boyfriend won't agree to watch them with you, tell him you will watch one of his more manly movies the next time. He may pretend to not like these "chick flicks' but there is no way he won't get at least something out of it. And besides, as long as he knows that it's a time for him and you to be together alone, I doubt there will be a problem. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. When Harry Met Sally is a classic that I've watched with my wife many times over the years.
    Most guys won't admit it but they do enjoy these rom-coms especially when they have a leading lady as cute as Meg Ryan was.
    I haven't seen A Walk To Remember or The Holiday, I'll have to check them out but another romantic movie I'd recommend is One Fine Day with George Clooney and Michelle Pfeifer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of all those movies! Not going to lie though, I like The Notebook more than a Walk to Remember. Something that I watch a lot. Another cute romantic movie I personally really like is Love Actually - it's kind of great for the holiday season as well.

    - Ariana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the movies above! There are definitely some that could be added to the list. I enjoy the old school and more modern movie suggestions it shows your diversified research :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these movies, but I'm surprised that you didn't mention the all time romantic classic... The Notebook. Although "The Notebook" isn't one of my favorites, you did include my Favorite of Favorites which is "A Walk to Remember". I have watched it more than ten times and I never get bored of that movie. I think it is one of the most romantic movies ever created and it hits me emotionally everytime I watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You stole an idea of mine! Romantic movies seem to be popping up in the blog topics a lot (of this blog) and I would have to imagine it's partially because they are so important to our notions of dating. Great writing Bon!

    ReplyDelete