Monday, February 21, 2011

Nothing is Certain.

I have been thinking about relationships a lot lately and, recently, an obvious but important concept has been in my mind: nothing in relationships is for certain. This is a very hard concept for me to grasp or want to believe but, in reality, it is true. In relationships and love nothing is for certain and there is never any guarantee that you won't end up being broken-hearted. Just recently, I learned that a couple I know fairly well are splitting up. They have been married for an extremely long time and how two nearly-grown kids. I believe they are the perfect example of "nothing is certain." I'm sure when the couple got married they didn't plan or believe they would get divorced in the future. They probably loved each other entirely and expected to stay together forever. Unfortunately, in relationships, nothing is set in stone. You can never be certain that a person won't leave you for someone else, that a person won't lie to you, or that there is no way your relationship won't fall apart. I absolutely hate this and wish there was some way to control or fix it but really such is life. It may sound a little blunt but it is something everyone at some point must accept. Letting go and taking a risk even if it is scary as hell is a part of being in a serious relationship. As hard as it is, I would frankly rather take that risk than to not have a chance to experience all the joys of being with someone. So yes, nothing is ever certain but, in my opinion, the benefits of being in a happy relationship will always outweigh the cost no matter where you end up in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment